On May 14, 2:10 pm, tony <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 14, 1:28 pm, Måns <humam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I use PortablePython_1.1_py2.6.1  ie 2.6.1
>
> I'll keep trying on the DOS end, post if any update.

Hi Måns,

Try again, it works.

Update:
I finally got Tiddlyweb 0.9.38 using a SQLite store to run under
PortablePython (PP)2.5.4 like Perica and FND using FND's instructions
as a guide:
http://tiddlyweb.peermore.com/wiki/recipes/docs/tiddlers/Installing%20on%20Windows

I mispoke/mistaken when I got Tiddlyweb running in PP2.6.1.

Since I had twanager already installed on desktop Windows and Mac, it
really isn't truly portable.

The real test is having the whole thing run from some internet cafe
machine that doesn't have anything; just what is on the removable
drive.

The kicker was I tried using Python 2.5 like in the instructions, but
that mirror is empty:
http://elvis.rowan.edu/mirrors/portablepython/v1.1/PortablePython1.0.zip

PortablePython_1.1_py2.5.4 is what is needed:
http://www.portablepython.com/releases/

Install PP
After I ran the installer, I saved the PP to C:\Portable/
PortablePython_1.1_py2.5.4

Now this installs PP to my desktop

Get tiddlyweb
then I downloaded the tiddlyweb distribution to C:\Portable
then I cheated and did a tar xvzf from cygwin to unpack the tiddlyweb
distro (no 7-zip on hand)

Get tiddlyweb dependencies (follow FND instructions)
Tip: Adding the TiddlyWeb dependencies, I made sure to use:
easy_install-script.py as there are many versions of "easy_install"

Make a Tiddlyweb instance:
Win-R then 'cmd' got the DOS prompt then ran the C:\Portable
\PortablePython_1.1_py2.5.4\App\python.exe C:\Portable
\tiddlyweb-0.9.38\twanager instance wiki
(wiki is my instance name)

Tip: it was tough doing all that tab completion in DOS sometimes you
might want to do blah/blah/python.exe blah/blah/twanager to see that
is the right path when it spits out the help. Switching between cygwin
and dos windows to get the paths straight was dizzying.

Anyway >cd wiki then start the server as usual: blah/blah/twanager
server localhost 8080

After I got tired of tab completion, i threw it into a batch file
(don't mind the E:\ that is my USB drive)

Here's the start_server.bat file:
  @ECHO OFF
  REM - change the drive letter to suit your own
  E:\Portable\PortablePython_1.1_py2.5.4\App\python.exe E:\Portable
\tiddlyweb-0.9.39\twanager server 127.0.0.1 8080

After I got it working on the desktop at C: (confirm saving to a
recipe of system+bag), I then moved the whole C:\Portable to my USB
drive at E: and changed the drive letter on the bat file.

Be patient, it took a long time.

I then tried for sql store copying the sqlstore plugins sql.py and
migrate.py into my instance, wiki then updating the tiddlywebconfig.py
to first migrate the plain text store --> sqlite.db with twanager
migrate then edit the tiddlywebconfig.py again to use sql store eg
'server_store': ['sql', {'db_config': 'sqlite:///wiki.db'}],

see the sqlstore tester thread for the config:
http://groups.google.com/group/TiddlyWikiDev/browse_thread/thread/b1bdf6cb981b4bcc?hl=en

Don't make the mistake I did initially using tiddlyweb-0.9.39 which
just came out today, June 12

tiddlyweb-0.9.39 works only for the plain text store when I tried from
sql store I got a mismatch thread error everyplace I tried. (I was
previously successful at the local, shared and USB drives)

Ha! I tried downgrading easy_install tiddlyweb==0.9.38 only to forget
that I didn't use easy_install to install tiddlyweb!
Had to redownload dist, then unpack 0.9.38

Install sqlalchemy!
I forgot to do it at C: so I just did it in E: with E:\Portable/
PortablePython_1.1_py2.5.4/App/Scripts\easy_install-script.py
sqlalchemy
it still works.
Tip: you don't need the sqlite, but I don't know why. I downloaded the
win binary exe just in case, also to learn.

I say, it took a lot of trial and error, but finally seeing the thing
work independently from within the drive was satisfying.

Positive results on: WinXP GoogleChrome, FF3.011

I was so excited I tried it under Linux only to forget that PP is
Windows only ;-\ another time

Many fav tiddlywiki plugins work like Udo's YourSearch and you can
access local links under Firefox addon: http://locallink.mozdev.org/

Even though TiddlyWeb has no Revisions or Diff Plugin and my wiki.db
will still bulk up in the revisions table, this is a near holy grail
of tiddlywebwiness, a reusable non-linear personal web notebook + self-
contained offline backend.

Thanks to Chris, FND, Perica, Jeremy et al.

Best,
tony