Hi all:

I am using TiddlyWiki as a coursebook for a course I will be teaching
in November.

I have arranaged the chapters of the coursebook as stories so that all
the tiddlers that make up a chapter can be opened as a single unit,
however I need advice/ideas on handling some issues.

I am using the list function of the openStory macro to produce a list
of all the chapters (and presentations)
to allow the student to access the chapters. However the pulldown menu
that is shown uses the word story
rather than section or some other term. To change this to use terms
more friendly to the coursebook,
I created a tiddler zzLocalSettings tagged with systemConfig with the
contents:

  config.macros.openStory.label = "open: %0";
  config.macros.openStory.popuplabel = "section";
  config.macros.openStory.selectprompt = "select a section...";
  config.macros.openStory.foldprompt = "fold story tiddlers when
opening a section";
  config.macros.openStory.closeprompt = "close other tiddlers when
opening a section";

So this seems to have handled that issue, except that the "add a
story..." menu item is still shown. While I can change the text, I
would like to totally remove that entry. Does anybody have an idea on
how to remove that without doing surgery on the StorySaverPlugin (make
future upgrades difficult)?

Also I was thinking of having multiple "Stories". It seems that it
should be possible to support an
optional tag parameter to the openStory and saveStory macros that
allows support for alternate
story tags (in my particular case "Presentations" and "Chapters").
Even though I don't use it, a similar
change to the storyViewer macro in the StoryViewerPlugin would
probably also be useful.

To allow the student to print off multiple chapters, I thought I could
just open chapter 1 clearing
all the other open tiddlers. Then I could open Chapter 2 while keeping
the other tiddlers (i.e. chapter 1)
open and then continue with chapter 3. However Chapter 2 opens at the
top of the story column and
not at the end. Would it be possible to add a new view option(s) that
control where the new story
tiddlers gets opened?

While I think I can use http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#SinglePageModePlugin
to allow the user
to select opening of the tiddlers at the bottom of the story column,
it would be nice to not have
to install it, or at least to be able to configure the settings via
the view options menu in openStory.

Thanks for any ideas.

-- rouilj