Most fascinating!

My colleague Peter Fuggle and I have been reflecting recently on the
parallels between the neurodevelopmental phases that lead to a mature,
adapted brain, and the growth patterns of the TW treatment/case
management manual that I have supplied links for.

The human brain starts with an explosion or efflorescence of branching
and linking (though synapses) of brain cells to each other.  Then,
from mid childhood and rapidly accelerating through adolescence
(probably the defining feature of adolescent brain development), the
whole developmental process goes into reverse, with synapses being
shed - so that the brain is literally 'moulting'.  However the links
that "moult" and are lost, are those that simply are not carrying
traffic.  Those links that ARE carrying traffic may even recruit extra
links - thus the brain's plasticity adapts its machinery to the
functions it is being called upon to perform.

The development of our manual has been (and continues to be) somewhat
similar - multiple iterations slowly evolve more efficient pathways
and links/tags/plugins/macros can be shed when they are found to be
superfluous.  A tool to measure which are the key pathways, and the
under-used by-ways, would be a powerful tool in the collaborative
authoring of practically-oriented wiki-based information sets.

Best

Dickon