TW has gradually become slower and more unusable the more I add to it. It
is text only, no added plugins or other extras, entirely structured and
organized through tags, with three tiddlers of tags given their own Table
of Contents type arrangement in the main row of TW tabs.

Tags are used in tree format to organize tiddlers by time (year tiddlers
and month-years within them), but I also use tags in the more traditional
sense for tagging tiddlers by topics. Aside from the tiddlers used to form
this structure, meaning all of my tiddlers that have actual content in them
and not just a line of code, those tend to have on average 2-10 tags each.
Some tags for subject matter rarely get used, while a few have been used
100+ times.

Many tiddlers have a lot of text but hopefully that's not the problem.

I do not keep the expanding lists of tags in tree structure all expanded at
the same time, only what I need to reference.

I was running an older version of TW5 when this issue began, and then
updated to 5.1.13 which was the new version at the time. This made no
difference.

Whole TW file is 8 MB with 800 tiddlers (that I've made), and 140 tags.

Opening, saving, and editing tiddlers and the TW are all slow. The worst is
typing text in a tiddler as oftentimes the characters appear very delayed
after I type them. All of the lag is a problem, but this is most
problematic of all. These performance issues persist through various high
spec computers, different OSes, multiple web browsers, TiddlyDesktop,
running off disk vs portable media, as the only thing running vs running
other programs or browser tabs, etc.

TW is just miserable to use right now which is a shame considering how much
I love it when it works and how much time I put into it.

I did read through an earlier thread which maybe identifies my problem,
possibly tags being used too many times.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/number$20of$20tiddlers%7Csort:date/tiddlywiki/U1ZKK8UIk94/q2DSlN_TAwAJ

This plugin was mentioned towards the end of that thread that I think
utilizes fields instead of tags.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/U1ZKK8UIk94/o3SH1PrQAwAJ

Do you suspect my issue is tags rather than some other issue? If so, is
there an easy way to convert some or all of my tags to fields or some other
better-performing format while also maintaining the structure of tiddlers
created by tags? I haven't done coding in a long time and so most of the
coding in TW especially goes over my head. Tags make sense to me and I know
how to use them, whereas I have no idea how I'd turn fields into the same
structure I have if that's even possible and it looks like maybe there are
a lot of rules with fields? I don't know if there's a solution, or if there
is, if it's something I understand enough to do.

Short of switching to a different platform, the only non-complex but
tedious and inefficient solution that might work is to make all of those
table of contents/expandable/lists of tiddlers in tiddlers (ruled by tags)
into ordinary static tiddlers without code, that I update by hand with
links to other tiddlers. So no longer would the tags let these lists
automatically generate, but I would by hand add links to tiddlers in all of
these places. For obvious reasons, I would rather not do this.

Thanks!