Thank you for your response! Closing the sidebar did not make a difference,
RAM is aplenty to begin with but I always turn off and turn computer on
again with nothing else running if I want the best performance in general.
Autosave is always turned off. Browsers, have primarily used Chrome,
Safari, Firefox. Usually just the browser's ability to download files,
though TiddlyDesktop is far more convenient with saves. Saving method nor
where I work with the file affects the performance--it's bad everywhere.
Wiki is private or otherwise I would consider sharing.

I just went ahead with the upgrade to 5.1.21 and WOW that is a lot better!
I just finished reading all of the past release notes to see what's new.
I'll have to do some more testing to make sure it's for real, haha. But it
is definitely much faster than before.

So clearly the newest version of TW has some significant performance
improvements (saw tag improvements mentioned in multiple releases), and I
might be okay for now, but will I run into this slowdown again? Anything I
could or should change about my TW file so that TW performance is ahead of
the data?

Thanks, Tony!