Definitely upgrade -- alot of improvements have been made recently.

Also, the tag filter starts having performance problems when you start
getting into tens of thousands of tiddlers (like a dictionary). It's a
known bug and we're working on a solution.

You can turn on performance instrumentation in the control panel and open
developer tools to see the results. I think it tells you to run a certain
command to see the results.