*TLDR:*
*Problem:* the tag dropdown slows down when you use to many tags
*Proposal:* 1. only show e.g. first 10  hits and cycle through pages or 2.
require min. 3 characters before showing results (like the search)

*Problem*
I see it mentioned more and more here on the forum, and I am beginning to
experience it in my own wiki. When the tag space gets big, the dropdown
tag-picker slows down a lot (in edit and in view mode). It is especially a
problem on mobile/android where it can make the hole wiki unresponsive for
a long time, but it also happens on my desktop now.

If you use the journal button hand have a journal tag, it quickly becomes
impossible to press that tag pill

I am also wondering what is the point of the tag pick drop-down? For me, it
is to quickly choose a tag. But if I get 50 tag suggestion, that will not
help me find what I am looking for. So I type instead to limit the relevant
suggestions. So why have all tags shown in the tag-picker to begin with? It
would make more sense to only see a limited number of hits.

Some might say that one should avoid to many tags to solve this. But that
is not a solution IMO. Tags are what makes wiki'ng great, and they are
visible unlike custom fields. In TW tags are both network/categories and
hierarchy. Therefore, we need a lot of tags (the strength becomes the
weakness).

*Proposal*
I see two possible solutions to this. The first I think would be the best.

1.
Limit the tag-picker to the first 10 hits and have button to cycle to next
10 (maybe have a setting where you can change the number of hits from 10 to
whatever)

2.
In edit mode, require 3 character in the input before showing results (like
for search)

*Discussion*
I like the first solution best because this will show you tag suggestions
whit out any input and it* solves the problem for both edit and view mode*
tag-picker.

I also think that whatever solution for this, should be a part of the core.
As the problem with too many tags is a fundamental scaling problem that can
hit everyone.

What do you think?
Do you have a better idea for a solution?