Which save mechanism are you using in your local system? If you're using
the default saver
(i.e., haven't installed any extensions, etc.) then your file will be
stored in your download
directory. Going from memory here, since I don't use Chrome. In Chrome,
unless you've
set it to ask each time, it will save to a file like "tiddlywiki (1).html",
"tiddlywiki (2).html".

There are more than 20 solutions for saving in TW. Which one is best for
you will depend
on your usage.

If you have automatic saving set, then it should attempt to save every time
you save a
tiddler. If you don't have automatic saving set, then you have to click on
the red
checkmark to initiate saving.

AFAIK, TW will never save when you close it's tab. However, if there are
changes that
need to be saved, there should be a popup message like "Are you sure you
want to leave this tab?"
that will help remind you to save first.