On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 12:03:30 AM UTC+1, Mat wrote:

> As I understand it, it is convenient to never have to manually save
> anything and things are still directly saved as you left them every time
> you start your TW. For example, I think @Danielos
> https://noteself.github.io/ is based on this and he finds it
> reliable. (In addition he uses an external server to sync all devices
> against.)

noteself is based on a library which can be found at pouchDB.com. It is
based on the browser indexedDB
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/IndexedDB_API>.

indexedDB is a different (younger) browser storage model, that was invented
to solve problems with the browser SessionStorage and LocalStorage.
Session- and LocalStorage are also known as WebStorage

IndexedDB has improved data handling, but its data is still hidden from the
user, inside the browser. There are limits
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/IndexedDB_API/Browser_storage_limits_and_eviction_criteria#Storage_limits>,

which are _not_ deterministic, which is the biggest problem.

App developers need some sort of guarantee. Without these guarantees and
the browser "eviction strategy
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/IndexedDB_API/Browser_storage_limits_and_eviction_criteria#LRU_policy>"

it makes the whole thing a gamble, if you want to store other than
temporary data.

We are still talking about MBytes of temporary data, but depending on the
device free space, the browser you use .. nobody can give  guarantees for
persistent data.

-mario