@Saq - thank you for confirming! Didn't realise these were generated on
demand. That explains why it doesn't work with the static website.

@Diego - totally missed that previous message. Thank you! Yes this is
exactly what I want.

So, just to recapitulate where I'm at, I used a couple of solutions that
more or less worked once exported as a static website:

*1)* Old school iframe which works on static website but doesn't look great
(see here <https://notes.nesslabs.com/about>, hover your mouse on "Other
Minds")
*2)* Transclude caption into "tooltip" (which unfortunately uses the
default "title tooltip" from the browser so takes a long time to show up)

*\define tv-wikilink-tooltip()*
*<$transclude field="tooltip"><$transclude field="caption"/></$transclude>*
*\end*

*Here is a link to [[Title of Tiddler]] with a custom tooltip.*

And I added a "caption" field to each Tiddler. Works once exported to
static website. Pretty happy with this except that the tooltip takes a long
time to appear. I much prefer the look and speed of the ones in Tobi Beer's
plugin.

---

*3)* Use Tobi Beer's plugin <http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#preview>,
which transcludes the whole target article (see demo
<https://ybalkind.github.io/tryingtiddlywiki/#How%20I%20use%20this%20blog>,
maybe a bit over the top). Works great on TW itself but doesn't work (as
Saq confirmed) when exported to a static website.

So my question is... Do you think there's a way to implement #2 (display
caption field in tooltip) with the look and speed of #3 (Tobi Beer's
plugin)?

Sorry for the rambling, and thanks so much for your help!