I was imagining making the part of the pill that doesn't have the X button
on it trigger the popup.

I was able to get it to *link* to the tag tiddler just by surrounding it
with a simple <$link> widget, but the logic for the popup is much more
complicated and I'm struggling to follow all the levels of macro calls in
various places.