Well then, just today I found a footnote on the manifest docs
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/content_security_policy>.
It reads:
Note: Valid examples display the correct use of keys in CSP. However,
extensions with 'unsafe-eval', 'unsafe-inline', remote script, blob,
or remote sources in their CSP are not allowed for extensions listed
on addons.mozilla.org due to major security issues.

Well, as it turns out, it *is* possible to allow for user formatting
without permitting eval in the CSP; the mechanism is just a rather
strange one – it involves the use of content scripts via
tabs.executeScript(). I suppose the restricted context of content
scripts makes that safe enough for Mozilla not to dismiss out of hand.
manifest.json and background.js should reflect this in the latest
commit.