I use what you call a monowiki that is approximately 10MB in size with
thousands of tiddlers. As TiddlyTweeter mentioned, extensive use of tags
can slow things down. I use tags only as little as possible. I use fields
for everything else. I also don't embed any images (or very, very few) in
my wiki. I use external links instead.

Hope this helps.

Damon