Deep stuff!

I like those ideas, how TW appeals to the "odd intellectual", and how
open/free it is.

Though I'm not sure I understand the implications of bringing this up in
this thread: do you mean that the TW community is not interested in having
a more accessible layer (in addition to - not instead of - the existing
"odd" one)?

About TiddlyWiki's description: "a non-linear personal web notebook"
Indeed, this is often the first thing a new user will read/consider.

I like that it starts with "non-linear", as this is a very user-friendly
way to hint at how TW is fundamentally unique.
I understand Tones' concern that this might end up covering the fact that
TW can also be used in more linear ways...

Other parts of that description seem more problematic to me.
"personal" suggests it only supports single-user usage;
"web" suggests it's web-based (and requires an internet connection);
"notebook" might suggest it's just for note-taking (rather than more robust
uses).

I know this is all explained in the Getting Started tiddler, but for
someone who is considering dozens of software alternatives, if the short
description already describes what they don't want, this might be enough
for them to not continue further. Maybe a better starting point would
be the description shown in the Getting Started tiddler: "a unique
non-linear notebook for capturing, organising and sharing complex
information". A shorter version could be: "*a unique non-linear fully
customizable notebook*"