> On the other hand: When you have built a solution that works for you, you
> don’t *have* to upgrade. A TiddlyWiki can work for decades without any
> updates.

I think this the key thing. You don't need to update to future versions of
the core if you are happy with your setup.

I am in the same boat as Thomas, I use the core plus my own plugins.

I think a common complication for vertical editions (customized versions of
TiddlyWiki) is that quite often, the publisher of the edition is not the
one who wrote all the components, nor has the expertise to update them when
needed. We have actually yet to have a well organized and documented
edition, that was properly hosted on github (or similar), allowing for the
community to help out with updates and bug reports. In some part I think
this is a reflection of the demographic of the community.