Casey,

Personally I call empty.html the "minimalist version", I would prefer a
"standard edition" be officially released with a few simple customisations
so the new users don't start totally raw.

I believe empty.html should only be used by experienced users building a
new solution from the ground up.

The following is a summary of how I understand and use the concepts of
empty.html and editions. Understanding this means I have no fears as you
expressed but a strategies to optimise my use.

Because there is no standard edition, I have made my own, but for ease of
use I have built a Bookmarklet (Favourite containing java-script)  that I
click and it changes settings and adds some tools I like, on every wiki. I
do this when I visit tiddlywiki.com. I do not include plugins so I need not
save and reload on read only wikis.

The alternatives to empty, or a personal standard edition is below, a
comprehensive list as I see it.

   - empty.html
   - Standard edition (does not exist)
   - Customisation - personal "standard edition" (my bookmarklet)
   - a "published edition"  eg like stroll, and many others
   - a Bespoke edition (Build up by with selected plugins and macros)
   - A personal template edition.
   - A Playground edition
   - Demo sites
   - Plugin editions

*Published editions*

   - These are a way for someone to package a suite of tools in a
   "pre-made" edition. ie already packaged, for you by someone.
   - Some are just putting together otherwise published tools (you could
   replicate your self, but it demonstrates something)
   - Others are published tools and bespoke changes
   - Published editions a great way for people who do not make plugins to
   package a solution they have designed
   - If a published edition is up-gradable, often is, all depends on the
   way the author built it
   - Why upgrade if it works?
   - Test upgrade if you want and if it does not work let the author know.

*Bespoke editions*

   - Not really and addition at all, build from empty.html for a purpose
   - Can make into a *Personal template edition*
   - many plugins work well together, it is often clear when they won't
   because they change common aspects of the one wiki.

*Personal template editions.*

   - Build your own template editions from "bespoke editions" and use these
   to generate new wikis,
   - usually a few for different purposes
   - May be based on other editions

*Playground editions*

   - You can have your own for experimenting
   - But I published one
   here https://anthonymuscio.github.io/playground.html
   - Has local storage installed so you can add plugins and reload
   - All changes remain in the browser

*Demo sites*

   - t is common practice for plugin and macro developers to publish a demo
   site
   - You can actually download these and use it as a starting edition.

Plugin editions

   - Ideally anyone building an addition could build a plugin or JSON file
   of all the components that turns empty.html into a custom edition.

In closing

I have a range of methods to manage multiple wikis, shared and installable
features too involved to document here.

I am more likely to extract methods used in Published editions than I am to
use the edition, to make my own. But then I have being in the tiddlyverse
for a while now.

Regards
Tony