Here is a datepicker plugin that you can use:
https://kixam.github.io/TW5-datePicker/

I would say that while greater support for dates as perhaps an official
plugin would be welcome, natural language parsing of dates isn't a common
enough use case to justify consideration for the core. The core is always a
balancing act between utility and size.

My work on natural language date parsing isn't published anywhere online,
and it's honestly too raw and incomplete to share. I was aiming to emulate
the way Todoist.com handles dates and there is still some way to go.