You have an example I can look at somewhere?  I just tried to extract one
of the filters and it doesn't appear to be working - probably because of
the curlybracket reference to the value of another tiddler set by the
dropdowns?

\define obsname()
contains:ascend.observation.name{$:/ascend/state/observation.name.selected}
\end

Then I tried to use it as subfilter<obsname> in the filter where that
original filter was and the filter no longer works as expected.

I think I need to make up a toy version of this wiki so people can see it
in action.

Thanks,

Cade