> It seems that DreamHost is holding our data hostage

They took it down because the "site consists of "personal backups" and
hence violates their terms of use". It doesn't sound like they are asking
for a ransom.

> I will use any means at my disposal to make this aggressive ( and most
probably unlawful ) behavior from DreamHost public

While it sucks, there is really nothing unlawful about this. Any provider
could do this if they wanted, there are no 'legal' rights to access the
data stored on their servers. I'd guess that this was an automated system
that flagged TS for the violation. The fact that the site was moved into
their backup storage and not just deleted seems to show some good faith,
and a reasonable chance that they could at least get a copy of the data
back.