Thanks for the suggestion. I will try installing and using Firebug.
However, I am not sure that knowing the actual CSS will help me. If I
add the CSS to StyleSheet and create a custom style, I can only apply
that style to the whole table, I believe. What I want to do is affect
the appearance of just a few cells in a table rather than the whole
table. While the inline CSS looks confusing, when I apply it to only a
few cells, it is a manageable confusion. :-)

Cheers
Andrew Mc