Thanks Mike for the information about StyleSheetShortcuts. I already
use this tiddler but did not have the latest version that included the
ColorPalette colours.
When using this approach in table cells, the text background is
formatted correctly, but not the entire background of the cell. This
can be seen in cell #2 below:

|cell #1|{{BGPrimaryPale{cell #2}}}|
|background-color:#8cf;cell #3|background-color:
[[ColorPalette::PrimaryPale]]; cell #4|

Cheers
Andrew Mc