On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 3:16:22 AM UTC-7 ludwa6 wrote:

> PS to my last: have fixed part of the problem: by adding the suffix clause
> back into macro (as below), it now pulls not a system-level error msg, but
> the error msg from wikipedia.org site itself, which seems to be objecting
> to the .html extension only... yet i can't find a way to remove that w/o
> reverting to the lower-level error msg.  Any insight about this problem
> would be appreciated!

Try this in a tiddler named "ShowWikipediaFrame":
\define AddTopic(topic) <option value={{{
[[$topic$]encodeuri[]addprefix[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/]]
}}}>$topic$</option>

<$select field="curr-topic">
<<AddTopic  "TiddlyWiki">>
<<AddTopic  "WikiWikiWeb">>
<<AddTopic  "Project Xanadu">>
</$select>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href={{!!curr-topic}} title="Open web page in a
separate window/tab"  target="_blank">link</a>
<iframe src={{!!curr-topic}} height="500" width="100%"></iframe>

Notes:
* The filter  in AddTopic  needed a closing "]]".  Also, the filter uses
"encodeuri[]" rather than "split[ ]join[%2520]".  This handles all special
URI characters, not just space.
* The target tiddler for storing the $select widget value is the *current
tiddler*, rather than "Wikipedia" (or {{Wikipedia!!title}}) and the
corresponding <a href=...> and <iframe src=...> params simply fetch
{{!!curr-topic}} (i.e., from the current tiddler).  This allows you
transclude the above content as a template (e.g., {{||ShowWikipediaFrame}})
and each transcluded instance can be used to show a different selected
topic.

enjoy,
-e