@Eric,

While studying your search tools, I noticed a possible bug with your tag
cloud and wanted to leave a note before I forget and in case no one else
has caught it.  The order by count (but not title) breaks tags with
multiple words into separate entries.

As for an improved main search bar, couldn't one modify a copy of the
original search bar (I've done it for caption search)-- or in this case
with a more refined search filter-- and use it instead of the original
search bar by simple swapping of the sidebar segment tag?