In trying to leverage what TW already has and to avoid too many home brewed
mods (my mods are often questionable), here's what I use to modify the main
search box:

https://tiddlywiki.com/#Customising%20search%20results

It details how to add custom search visualizations to the default search
bar and set the new visualizaton as default.

I often clone $:/core/ui/DefaultSearchResultList (renaming it so it will go
into the directory where you may have other custom system/shadow tiddlers)
to make a new custom search visualization.  Often to split the
title/tag/text results smaller segments.  Or replace the search filter
fields filters with custom search filters to meet my needs, like excluding
tiddlers like added sidebar tab tiddlers (that I don't want to $:/ prefix)
that don't exclusively hold content.

What would be of use, would be paginated search results.