Hi Tones and Flibbles, thanks again for coming to the rescue.

1. Flibbles, thanks for that snippet. It works great! Now when I rename a
tiddler, the macro gets renamed too.

2. Also, I was wrong about searching, or at least it works now. If I search
for "Subtiddler", which is referenced in my mapline macro in "Host
tiddler", the search results in clude "Host tiddler". So I am all set in
terms of searching.

3. The only thing lacking is that this be bi-directional. When I go to
tiddler B that is referenced in a mapline macro in tiddler A, my view
template that lists backlinks does not show a link to tiddler A. So, links
in the macro are not being recognized as backlinks.

Here is an example: Open  Acts exegesis
<https://giffmex.org/experiments/topicmaps2021.html#Acts%20exegesis>. If
you click the link in that tiddler to go to
<https://giffmex.org/experiments/topicmaps2021.html#Acts%2017%20general%20x>Acts

17 general
<https://giffmex.org/experiments/topicmaps2021.html#Acts%2017%20general> ,
you will see there is no link back to Acts exegesis at the bottom of the
tiddler.

The macro can be found here: $:/.giffmex/Macro/mapline
<https://giffmex.org/experiments/topicmaps2021.html#%24%3A%2F.giffmex%2FMacro%2Fmapline>

The viewtemplate tiddler can be found here:
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/Backlinks
<https://giffmex.org/experiments/topicmaps2021.html#%24%3A%2F.giffmex%2FViewTemplate%2FBacklinks>

4. This would basically be a new form of footnoting and/or transcluding: I
paste the macro, add a title in the single quote marks, and voila, readers
have a modal to view the additional text without losing their place, and
the link is there in case they want to open to print it, or if I want to
open to edit it. It is also a new form of writing/reading. The basic text
would be concise lines, the skeleton of the argument, as simple or as
elaborate as I wish. And the meat (lists, tables, quotes, evidence, etc)
would be in the modals. Readers only need to open the modals they want to.
Much easier than plodding through a long stream of dense paragraphs.