David,

I'm playing with using the existing excise button with "macro" option
(specifying your det macro), and I'm not yet seeing how your complaint
about extra <p> tags works. That is, I'm getting results that look just
like your more baroque macrocalls.

In other words, editing the home outline tiddler at your site, if I replace

<$macrocall $name=det tid="Failures of commentaries"/>

with

<<det "Failures of commentaries">>

I see no difference in how the result displays, either collapsed or
expanded. Could you clarify what the problem is?

-Springer