Hello all,
Thanks!! Thanks to Mario for a way to wrap the macro that works perfectly.
Thanks to Jeremy and Saq for all of the explanations - for me those always
make it easier to adapt to change. Thanks to Saq for persisting with a
search for alternatives in the face of my insistence on wanting what I
want. And thanks to Josiah for highlighting the amazing longevity of TW
tools.

One further question that would help my understanding of things: is the
wrapping enough to restore this macro to acceptability? Or is there really
some deeper fundamental problem being described by "broken", "off-spec",
and "improper" that means I should think of the wrapping as only a
temporary bandage?
cmari