Ciao Jeremy ...

>  Jeremy: |  do plan to update the release note with a more prominent
> warning of the impact of this change.
>
> TT: Good! IMHO, it might also be worth mentioning that their tool of
> concern would continue to *run fine under previous versions of TW*. For
> working apps mostly it is NOT needed you upgrade!
>

> From the core perspective we really want people to upgrade actively used
> wikis to each new version because it’s expensive and complex to offer
> support for old versions. For example, if we had a user on v5.1.23 who was
> holding back updating to v5.2.0 then that user wouldn’t be able to benefit
> from bug fixes in subsequent releases. If they reported a bug that was then
> fixed by the core team they wouldn’t be able to get the fix without
> updating.

Right. I do broadly understand that. BUT in practice it is a bit of a
puzzle too. Older, non-complaint plugins, by authors no longer active,
could end up ESTRANGED.

*(FYI, in THIS thread, I do see PMario work hard for a compatible solution
for the OP's user problematic. Maybe that is enough for these edge cases?
I.E: a dedicated dev solves the issue functionally. What he is doing is
solving a problem for the "absent landlord". One "good enough" to work for
the moment.)*

IMHO, I agree you should not go backwards. It would make no sense and would
be ineffectual and serendipitous if and when it worked.

*However* the latest version is, crudely speaking, an "interruptus". That
may throw some plugins (BUT I have no idea *how many*; it may just be a
manageable handful?). But IS the "break with past" minor or serious?

SO, to be practical. I'd say it is still a bit unclear how much of an ISSUE
all this is.

Just thoughts from a non-programmer.

Best wishes
Josiah