Silly questions from me:

What does "nicely designed" mean?  I may find something wonderfully
designed, while 99% of normal folk find the same thing awful.  Same vice
versa.  That is really a subjective matter.  Better to have a gallery and
let folk be drawn to what they individually consider nicely designed, and
let them ignore what isn't.  Unless somebody wants to run a TiddlyWiki
beauty contest...

What folk may consider gawd awful might actually sneak up eventually and be
considered quite nice.  Aging like fine wine...

If one is looking for uses cases for features, who cares whether it is a
nicely designed TiddlyWiki or not, and who cares whether it looks abandoned
or not?  If a TiddlyWiki still showcases a particular feature really well
years down the road, then it is still a very good TiddlyWiki to have
around.  (I regularly find value in TiddlyWikis that have not been updated
for many many many years.

If we forget all but "don't appear abandoned" as the task at hand, then the
best thing is to continously/regularly update it.  An
alternative/complimentary approach might involve having the wiki acting a
bit like a portal, showing some dynamic content from somewhere else so it
looks like the TiddlyWiki has a pulse ?

Well, I'm having a hard time imagining why "don't appear abandoned" would
matter.  Maybe an example would help.  The only thing I can think of is
monetization of the TiddlyWiki, but I can't see anything other than regular
new content keeping folk regularly visiting a TiddlyWiki.