> Before people become full tiddlywikians, then need to decide if they want
> to try out TW to begin with. At that stage, impressions and feelings matter
> a lot. Things that look abandoned or outdated are generally less appealing
> than things that look up to date and alive. I'm pretty sure people are more
> interested in a software where it says "October 19, 2021" instead of , say,
> "May 7, 2018".

I arrived recently after trying some tools specialized towards tabletop
GMs, they look nice enough but have a dizzying array of completely
unnecessary clutter features built-in.  No plugin system. I wanted
something like mediawiki that I could easily host locally, setting up a
virtual machine for a php server would have been a pain. Looking at the
list in Alternativeto I had initially completely passed over tiddlywiki
because it looked too different and unique in the one and only screenshot
there. I eventually came back to it, and I'm glad I did, but I did so
reluctantly.

*Everyone* is familiar with wikipedia, or near enough everyone, who in
their right mind puts the sidebar on the right and makes it half the bloody
page? Looks even sillier on a widescreen display with fluid sidebar by
default. Maybe this is great, maybe there's a good reason for it, but for
the average user I think what matters much more then whether something is
"nicely designed" or "not abandoned" is whether or not it feels familiar!
Mediawiki looks way more dated than tiddlywiki, but people intuitively know
how to navigate a wiki built on it because they have experience with that
kind of interface. It's in their comfort zone to use and that matters more
than appearances.

The "99%" you want to appeal to are already familiar with something else
and probably aren't especially technologically savvy. That's a recipe for
an uphill battle no matter how many web gurus can pretty it up, as long as
the cool designs out there are one-off designs instead of plugins/templates
to work from they won't matter one iota to a non-technical user.