Actually, I'd forgotten - applets were removed entirely in the latest LTS
version of Java, 11, released in September 2021. So that's a path with
little future.

You might be able to create some Tiddlywiki JavaScript code that makes REST
API calls to some Tomcat/Java app server instance running whatever kinds of
backend code you would like.