some ideas.
What I want to have in the main menu is: <<list filter
[tag[mainMenu]]>>
So if I tag a tiddler "mainMenu" it is automatically added to the main
menu. I do use this mechanism a lot. The only disadvantage is, that it
returns an alphabetically sorted list.

I will do the following. Enable a xSort plugin, to sort by custom
field value. eg: order.tagName. Create two macros, that can be
activated as bookmarks. 1) dynamically load the jQueryUI stuff. 2)
xSort generates sortable lists and write the sortorder back to the
tiddlers custom field. If everything is sorted, save and reload and
all the additional stuff is gone. Your tw stays small :)

possibilities:
<<list xSort [tag[mainMenue]]>> .. for the menue
<<list xSort [tag[story_1]]>> .. story 1 ...

regards mario