Jeremy,

I noticed that TW5 does not allow to use custom protocols for links.  E.g.
[[Link|http://someurl.com]] is rendered as a link to the web page.  I
think, there is a set of protocols rendered as external links (http:,
https:, ftp:; mailto:, etc.)  But any protocol outside this set is rendered
as a link to a tiddler.  This takes away one useful capability I had with
TWC.  I often need my tasks in mGSD to be linked to emails.  In mGSD, I can
create a link to an email as follows:

[[Email|mutt://<message_id>]]

I have a protocol handler set up in Firefox which makes Firefox open a
shell script that extracts the message_id and opens the specific email in
mutt client.  There is a Thunderlink Firefox add-on as well which allows to
link emails as "thunderlink://message_id".  However, TW5 does not interpret
mutt:// as a protocol and opens an empty tiddler named "mutt://message_id"
instead.

Is there a compelling reason to check the protocol name?  If not, I'd like
TW5 to allow me define my own protocols at the expense of an occasional
browser error message.  By the way, TW5 does not seem to recognize the
magnet:// protocol used for torrents as well.

I can still link to Gmail messages using http:// syntax, but I'd rather not
be limited in my choice of a mail client.