Continuing my thought, a token to force internal links might be useful too.

How about this:

[[Link text|URL]] - use regexp to detect external links (current behavior)
[[Link text|'TiddlerName']] - indicates that 'TiddlerName' is a tiddler
name.
[[Link text|`URL`]] - indicates an external link.

--
Arkady