@Devin Well done. I completely forgot to mention Java security settings,
though I spent quite a while playing with them myself before things worked.
Aging brain.

@all This page tests if a Java applet (unsigned) will
run<http://www.javatester.org/version.html>on your current browser settings,
tells you the version if it works, and
gives some hints as to why if it doesn't. Another site that won't work with
the Java update coming in the new year!

To quote the above page:

*YOUR BROWSER LIES: *Java 7 Update 10 introduced a new checkbox that
disables the use of Java in all browsers. By and large, this is a good
thing, but there seems to be a failure to communicate between Java and many
web browsers. As a result, all the browsers I have tried so far incorrectly
report that Java is not installed when, in fact, it may be installed but
this new security feature has been enabled. Just an FYI.