Hi Bill

I'm very sorry to hear of your heart attack.

I think the idea of using an encrypted TiddlyWiki to pass on a cache of
vital personal information is pretty good. There are a couple of TiddlyWiki
files that I share with family members in the same way, using encrypted
files in Dropbox.

It's difficult to give an unequivocal answer as to how safe the arrangement
might be. Right now TW5 is pretty new, and I don't think that the
encryption features have yet been subjected to the kind of systematic
external review that we might want. However, I'm pretty confident that the
underlying crypto library that TW5 uses is solid; it's widely used, and has
been subject to review:

http://bitwiseshiftleft.github.io/sjcl/

So, I think a reasonable strategy for the moment might be to stick with
KeePass for the most sensitive financial information, and use an encrypted
TW for the rest. As Cangaroo Joe points out, you can give yourself an extra
layer of protection by wrapping the TW file in an encrypted zip file.

The way that I think about this stuff is to compare what I'm doing with
email; we need to treat email as if it's pretty close to public domain, and
so anything that you are prepared to put in an email I'd say would be not
unreasonable to put an encrypted wiki in Dropbox.

Anyhow, I hope you find a good solution, and do keep asking questions.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Bill Dixon <williamhdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After having a heart attack 2 weeks ago, I'm finally making detailed notes
> for my wife, with stuff like life insurance policy info, 401k info, backing
> account numbers, etc.  My idea is that if I were to die, she could just
> pull up the TW file and have all the information she needs to handle
> whatever she needs to do to close my affairs and do things I normally do
> (balance checkbook, etc).
>
> My idea is to put the TW file on DropBox, and put a shortcut to it on my
> wife's laptop.  That way, I can continually (over the years) update my
> copy, and if anything ever happens to me she'll have all the information
> she needs in one place.
>
> I have all the passwords to the various sites I mention in KeePass, and
> it's secure enough that I trust putting it on DropBox (and I hope I'm not
> mistaken here).  But there's a lot of other sensitive information I'm
> putting in tiddlers.  I suppose I could put all stuff like that in KeePass
> as comments, but I'd rather put everything except passwords themselves in
> TW.
>
> Just how safe would it be to encrypt a TiddlyWiki file with a password,
> and then put it on DropBox?
>
> If it isn't safe, then I'll just try to remember to copy the file to her
> laptop whenever I make significant changes, but I'd rather not have to
> worry about remembering to do that.  (My memory is horrible.)
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> --

Jeremy Ruston