Bill

I'll think about your use-case some more.. {and my own}
We geeks, passionate technorati have so very hard time understanding
non-techie people's relationship to all this we know and love-to-know.

I watched my friend struggling to just order a simple medical bracelet
on-line last month. She was confused and unhappy by the end of that
session.
A sobering fresh reminder that one person's path/tool is often not
another's.

/some questions:/
- So you have lots of documents in several categories/contexts which
need updating at least once a year?
- If it were a book, *how many pages?
- How many changes how often?
*- Does the README-FIRST need to change much?
-- If not, or anyway write that first.

I'd argue still for personal USB-Key as the most private, secure and
portable.
Why do you, or your wife, need more or /different than that.

*Dedicated *INSTRUMENTS/DEVICES are often simpler to use and maintain,
by their design-use focus.

*PLAN A-B.*
* Why not buy a dedicated Wifi tablet? **
*
{ie Nexus 7 or very nice ipadMini}

Android is poised to run Node.js soon {hope}
and thus make a brilliant modern digi-dossier
and for TW too in 2014++

FIRST just Put all your memos, scans, photos, TiddlyWikis whatever on there.

BUT Put your main effort now into:

file/folder naming,
readable grouping // guided by the README-FIRST of course ;-)
gathering up the documents, copies and meta-=notes thereof.

If you get the order right, and with minimal choreography
TW and/or any other set of slide or presentation tools,
you can have full screen fast swipe access
IN SEQUENCE
or in demand
or via link for each topic and sub-detail.
Update as necessary or time allows.

Photos of documents - start of just simple images
then maybe use TW to annotate them..

This way one has the sort-of-maybe-best mostly of both worlds.
As things progress, you can print out to suit your Wife's perspective.
Tablets are the modern book. BUT need power/recharge.

~jason