hey mario, thank you very much for your response

taking from your input I've ended up

   - using the uncompressed

<http://tiddlywiki.abego-software.de/archive/DataTiddlerPlugin/1.0.7/DataTiddlerPlugin-1.0.7-src.js>

   version of the DataTiddlerPlugin
   - finding the lines

Tiddler.prototype.data = function(field, defaultValue) {
    return (field)
         ? DataTiddler.getTiddlerDataValue(this, field, defaultValue)
         : DataTiddler.getTiddlerDataObject(this);
};

   - and replacing with

Tiddler.prototype.data = function(field, defaultValue) {
    return (field)
         ? DataTiddler.getTiddlerDataValue(this, field, "-")
         : DataTiddler.getTiddlerDataObject(this);
 };

this seems to give me what I need, ie:

   - when a fet runs and a field and value are defined the value is
   returned in the fet resulting table
   - when a fet runs and a field/data are undefined a dash is returned in
   the fet resulting table (instead of the word 'undefined')

(see before
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwx3zvzwkg1z64e/Screenshot%202014-08-27%2017.01.37.png?dl=0>

and after
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/vifh8iv78cvbg1n/Screenshot%202014-08-27%2017.06.45.png?dl=0>

screenshots of the relevant fet table columns)

this seems to be working for now, yet I'm wondering if the aforementioned
code change brakes something

crucial in the way the plugin works I'm not seeing at the moment.

Any thoughts are extremely welcome and again thank you very much for your
input

sklpns