Tobias wrote:

Could be the left margin, showing a dim back arrow.

> Atm, I'd place that indicator where the target was... if it was a tiddler,
> to the left of the first paragraph. If it was some tab, etc, at the scroll
> position to the left of that tabset.

Something like in this image below? It also picks up on your forward link
after going backward, a good idea actually as it would let you easily flip
back and forth just to check something. Hope the image is large enough so
the faint arrows below the letters are visible.
I think position a is better than b to keep it out of sight, unless you
actually want it. Equivalent on right side for forward.
For tabs (clever to identify this as a different case!) I think position c
makese sense but am unsure of d or e. Maybe d as it is more in the
immediate vincinity of the place where you'd otherwise switch tabs. e feels
a bit off side.

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c3nfFrltANM/VIb0KpHgdHI/AAAAAAAAO-8/OTsNq_z6KMQ/s1600/links.png>

Just like that sticky title, if it was possible to make tiddler elements
> sticky, there's be a lot of potential for less dominant controls in the
> left and right margins.

You mean to have the arrow sticky so it is at constant vertical distance
from browser edge if you eventually scroll to read a long tiddler or so?

This should be done with any tm-navigate event having some navigateFrom***
> from which we start scrolling.
>
> So, you'd have that "go back" link (some left pointing arrow, triangle) at
> the very position you scroll to... and perhaps a right pointing indicator
> flashing up to the right at the scroll position of the original link after
> clicking the go-back button and having scrolled back to that previous
> location.
>

> One could probably just use the browsers history, and instead of setting
> it to the tiddler that just openened we'd set it to tiddler +
> clicked-element when we leave it. The clicked element may need some "rel"
> set to a unique identifier once clicked.

Not sure I understand. Or do you mean that going back, the window should
scroll so that it sets the previously used link to appears at top in
browser window, instead of the tiddler title normally at that position? For
links far down in a tiddler this might perhaps  be a good idea.

http://www.sitepoint.com/javascript-history-pushstate

Positive read! (And enough time has passed so that the IE issues are even
in the past by now. Surprisingly it seems to be Chrome setting the
limitations for our later ideas.).

<:-)