But on further investigation…

You were right, Rich. There was a mistake in the "embed" macro. I'd missed
off the closing dollar sign of "$start$" and "$end$". This was causing the
"youtube-embed" JavaScript macro to receive the strings "$start" and "$end"
as its parameters, wreaking havoc.

Bizarrely, "embed" was still embedding a YouTube video that played the
expected section when clicked. At least, it was for me. I don't claim to
understand that.

I've uploaded a corrected version to TiddlySpot.

– æ