Hi Mat,

> There will be tiddlers that are difficult to find, as exemplified by the
tiddler Tagging <http://tiddlywiki.com/#Tagging> and someone curious about
how to use tags and therefore searches "tags".

Part of the difficulty is the word-stemming issue that Mario has mentioned.
At present, the search system looks for *exact* matches only, so a search
for *tags* will not find *tagging*. At least the search system is
case-insensitive :)

But there's also the issue of synonyms and controlled vocabularies. The
user might search for *labels* or *categories*, unaware that TiddlyWiki
terminology uses the word *tag*.

Perhaps it would be nice if the search system made it clear which of the
results were found as *tags*, just as it currently indicates which of the
results were found in *titles*. One can imagine a dedicated mechanism for
searching* only* the tags, perhaps as a filter at the top of the Tags tab
in the sidebar. Perhaps the Tags tab should be promoted to the top level of
the sidebar, as at http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/, where users would discover
it more easily.

> Note that this is an example of a carefully designed and tagged tiddler.

But *has* the *Tagging* tiddler been sufficiently carefully designed and
tagged? In my opinion, it contains too much information – too many sections
that really belong in tiddlers of their own. And I think the *Tagging*
tiddler should be called *Tags*, as that's a more likely thing for people
to search for. ("Tags" are concrete things; "tagging" is an action – more
abstract and complicated-seeming.)

The *Tagging*/*Tags* tiddler currently carries the *Concepts* tag. In other
words, it's been filed (correctly) under *Concepts*. Likewise, other
tiddlers that discuss how to use tags should be filed under (i.e. tagged
with) *Tags*.

Tags are such an important concept in TiddlyWiki that it's slightly
surprising that tiddlywiki.com doesn't yet have a *Tags* tag.

> If we delegate ad hoc tags to be part of the text, we have a problem when
the tiddler is not really common text.

I'm not fully understanding the difference between an ad hoc tag and any
other tag. A tag X is just a way of saying "I want to file this tiddler
under X". The neat thing about tags, of course, is that – unlike
folder-based filing systems – you can file the same tiddler under *several*
tags. The table of contents (TOC) can then present your filing system *as
if* it was folder-based, and you can choose which tags participate in the
TOC.

Perhaps an ad hoc tag is merely a tag that isn't attached to the TOC, i.e.
a tag whose tiddler isn't tagged *TableOfContents* or whatever.

– æ