> I'll be honest. I don't understand the full significance of modules or how
> to do them. Is a module just a tiddler with the type set to javascript and
> the module type set to macro? The advantage of that over tagging a tiddler
> $:/tags/RawMarkup isn't obvious to me.

A module is what makes TiddlyWiki tick, it's a functional bit of the
clockwork, a gear, a spring, a handle, a winder... so there are different
module-types that serve different purposes. A macro serves the purpose of
providing a wikitext macro that works just like any other macro to the
user. However, he
would not have been able to construct that macro using wikitext-only. So,
there sometimes is a need to create a javascript macro to do the "heavy
lifting"... which might just be a lot less heavy than trying to do the same
thing using wikitext-only.

I notice in the size routine that you use a number of $tw.wiki.whatever and
> $tw.utils.something. I assume those are functions defined deep in
> TiddlyWiki's core. Is there existing documentation for those that I haven't
> found yet?

yes, those are core functions, here of the *wiki* object or the *utils*
namespace, either provide useful accessors to the underlying processes,
*utils* help you work with all things tiddly and *wiki* gives you the
basics of filtering and then writing to tiddlers, things like that. So,
there are different collections of codebits, all of which you can explore
in your browser's console by starting to type *$tw*... or in the GitHub
repo. Some things are more complicated, other's are really straight
forward, like many filters for example.

Best wishes, Tobias.