My apologies for the delay in replying, I've been a little busy but finally
managed to get back at this.
So keeping the 'origami' theme and thinking about what you said concerning
the separation of content and tools or the sidebar and the tiddler river I
came up with the following concept.
It basically tries to represent the whole sidebar as if in a background
planed behind the tiddler river, like it was tucked beneath it (the shadow
tries to mimic that). The toolbars and elements behave as ribbons of paper
sticking out from behind the tiddler area as bookmarks stick from the side
of a book.
This would emphasize the the importance of the tiddler river as the main
content foreground element above the secondary tools under it, while
hopefully allowing for a more or less colorful sidebar without stealing so
much attention away (or keep the more monochrome tone which I think works
very well currently). Here are a few previews with colored or more muted
sidebars, in lighter or darker themes.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bnXZj73WIPc/VS8Qy5wlErI/AAAAAAAAJTI/CWqdIOWf_8A/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup10.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1gKpgrCC0dU/VS8QutZhhcI/AAAAAAAAJTA/wx_Yz4O92Zw/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup11.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zrH_EKSiWpQ/VS8QqVu5fVI/AAAAAAAAJS4/OTF119bgfUQ/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup12.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xjspYaau3rE/VS8QTNckVWI/AAAAAAAAJSg/I-7_i0W_HQ0/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup15.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-foI1Up2ELqk/VS8QZ_602JI/AAAAAAAAJSo/8aPH90D6Md4/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup14.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Kk3h01a3gIM/VS8Qhr4CkDI/AAAAAAAAJSw/aFZ7e-9K4XY/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup13.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v__A8yYKQ-U/VS8QPNtDDvI/AAAAAAAAJSY/UlIhoElbhH8/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup16.png>

This visual cue has the additional advantage that it could be further
extended in a consistent manner for an hypothetical "hide sidebar"
function. When is activated, a small portion of the sidebar could still be
displayed at the edge of the browser window, with perhaps a few select
essential tools still "tucked under" the shadow of the main tiddler view,
keeping some reduced functionality while enlarging the available view area.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tACY1agMsiU/VS8U479adHI/AAAAAAAAJTU/4AhPQTflfBo/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup17.png>

Ideally this could be done in conjunction with a default centered view for
the tiddler river, with shadows on both sides, to totally assume it's
importance as central piece, although I understand this would steals a lot
of potential sidebar space.
These elements (like the toolbars sticking out, the search bar or even the
tag pills) could gain a more skeuomorphic form with stronger paper like
visual (like with stylized bent corners and more shadows), if that's what
you are looking for, although I think it might be too much for users who
prefer a simpler look and may spoil the more neutral look.

Other notes:

   - Reworked the tag display to not imply any relationship between them
   - Simplified the icon theme to be less intrusive
   - Ideally tiddler headers would be sticky type 'always visible'
   - Added those 'bookmarks' on the side of the headers as shortcuts for
   tiddler permalink/permaview or as a 'scroll to top' shortcut

Let me know what you think, Jeremy, or please share any other ideas or
expectations you have.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/23f139b0-be8e-4ddc-a7ee-38f53164661e%40googlegroups.com.