Hi Mathew thanks for the comments, colors are indeed a bit bright, here is
a toned down version that is easier on the eyes and steals less attention
from the user, and would probably go better as standard palette, then again
colors are always meant to be user customizable.
The shadow is also big, but I feared that if made too small the effect
could be lost. I think it can be made slightly smaller by default. I even
thought that it could mistakenly signal the user that the interface was
somehow blocked or disabled, so maybe it could be made as an effect that
would disappear when the toolbar was hovered (?).
In this version it is about two thirds of the original size, could still
shrink further if needed. Also slightly reworked other details including
the shrunk sidebar, to have an 'expand arrow' and a 'shrink further' arrow.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v1ShKeeK3IU/VTA3j-SUfiI/AAAAAAAAJT4/iYJx88DDyvE/s1600/Tiddlywiki_UI_Mockup21.png>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4a7bb608-1939-4318-a7c1-207dab502a10%40googlegroups.com.