On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 9:26:04 AM UTC-7, Mat wrote:

> Ah, thanks @Eric! Truly an easy syntactic mistake to make.
>
> As far as I can tell, $vars thus makes $set superfluous. Do you happen to
> know why wasn't $set just enhanced instead of introducing also $vars? Would
> enhancing $set break backward compatability?

see http://tiddlywiki.com/#VarsWidget, in which Jeremy wrote:
-------------------------
It should be noted that this widget differs from the set widget in the
following ways:
* A fallback (also known as "emptyValue") cannot be specified
* Filters cannot be used to produce a conditional variable assignment
* Variable names must be literal strings

Thus, while $set and $vars are very similar, they are not 100%
equivalent... and yes, I think $set was left as-is because of
backward-compatibility issues.

-e

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/43c6adfb-fa67-4aa8-bca5-10f69859ed19%40googlegroups.com.