Hi Hegart,

> I think this field should be renamed to *sort* or *order* or even
> *sort-order* rather than *list*.

At this point, if only for backwards-compatibility,
there is no renaming that field.

I can see how the name "list" field
is not exactly self-explanatory at first.

~

Give yourself some time to digest the TW ecosystem,
there is a lot to learn.
You can trust the core design
to have been carefully crafted.

Starting that journey with TW,
focus on understanding first how things work,
and perhaps why things work the way they work.

~

I hope by now you also see how
defining numbers the way you thought
would not have been easier or better,
if only for it having constrained
any tiddler to only having one number
rather than possibly appear in a number of list fields.

If you ever needed more than one list field,
there is no stopping you from using any other custom field
as if being the list field ...with the appropriate filter.

~

Actually, thinking about all this,
I believe there is a bit of a shortcomming right now in that the fields
list-before and list-after should in fact work like list-fields,
rather than only declare a single tiddler
compared to which the current one is to be sorted
before or after.

After all, as I just said,
any tiddler can appear in a number of list fields.

Best wishes,

— tb

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/071cf3ce-19f2-4dd0-bd52-505cca3480ba%40googlegroups.com.