Tobias, Mark, thank you for your suggestions...  The use of SetWidgets to set
variables is something I didn't understand before, and I can tell I'll
eventually be able to use it to achieve a much cleaner solution.

Right now, though, I still have a problem that's completely blocking me:  how
do I get the *results* of a macro call into a variable?

The project I'm working on will involve dates.  I can write a macro in
Javascript which takes a date in TW's format and adds or subtracts a given
amount of time.  But how can I have TiddlyWiki call that macro *and* store it
in a field rather than simply rendering the result on the screen?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8782aa2c-69ae-48a0-968d-dee916f2d037%40googlegroups.com.