So this is the solution I have to this problem:

\define empire_lookup()
{{EmpireEventLookupTable##$(thejointype)$}}
\end

<$set name=thejointype value={{!!jointype}}>
{{!!planet}} <<empire_lookup>> <$link to={{!!faction}}><$view
field=faction></$link>
</$set>

Fields:
faction: United Federation of Planets
jointype: join
planet: [[Mars]]
year: 2162

The result is:
Mars joined the United Federation of Planets

The idea behind using this format is so I can put the body of the text into
a template tiddler and use a form to create new empire event tiddlers
quickly and easily.  It works for the most part.

I still have two issues with this:

In the form tiddler I have this:
Planet: <$select field='planet'>
<$list filter="[tag[planet]]">
<option><<currentTiddler>></option>
</$list>
</$select>

<$button>New Event
<$action-setfield $tiddler="Template: Empire Event"
title=Event_{{!!year}}_{{!!month}}_{{!!day}}/>
<$action-setfield $tiddler=Event_{{!!year}}_{{!!month}}_{{!!day}}
year={{!!year}} planet={{!!planet}} faction={{!!faction}}
jonitype={{!!jointype}}/>
</$button>

year, month, day, faction, and jointype are defined with similar select
widgets and are working fine.

Here are the problems.
Planet is showing up in the resulting tiddler as text only and not as a
link to the associated tiddler.  For example, if I select Cardassia Prime
from the select widget, the planet field in the resulting tiddler will say
Cardassia Prime, when I need it to say [[Cardassia Prime]].  I'm not
entirely certain how to accomplish this.

Another problem is in the title of the new tiddler.  I want the values of
the year, month, and day fields to show up in the title of the new tiddler,
but instead the tiddler name is Event_{{!!year}}_{{!!month}}_{{!!day}},
rather than Event_2451_12_14, for example.

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues?

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Tobias Beer <beertob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi David,
>
> I didn't actually add the parameter to the tiddler I was testing with so
>> it never showed.  Thanks!
>

> Happens to the best of us. Unlike the current release, the next release
> will always add any new field info entered into the editor ...so this
> problem should not pop up any more ...the problem where you create a new
> tiddler and at the bottom of it or in the tags-field find some already
> entered text hinting at the possibility that you recently forgot to hit
> some "add" button.
>
> For example, on prerelease <http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/>, try
> creating a new tiddler and...
>
>    - enter some new tag value, but don't add it
>    - enter some new field values, but don't add it
>    - save the tiddler
>
> You should find that both the new tag and field values have been saved to
> the tiddler.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tobias.
>
> --