So would you guys say that using list filters for backlinks is LESS
inefficient than using list filters for tagging? I would have assumed the
opposite, since tags involve tag pills and dropdowns. That is what gave me
the idea of using backlinks, to avoid the slow down that eventually occurs
with using list filters with tags...now I am bummed...

Dave

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 3:06 AM, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy.rus...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The backlinks filter operator is inherently slow because every tiddler
> needs to be parsed to find all the outgoing links, and then filtered to
> choose the links to the target tiddler. Parsing is a slowish process
> because it involves analysing the tiddler text character by character to
> find the syntactic constructions.
>
> However, the results of parsing are cached for each tiddler until the
> results are invalidated by changes. Thus, the construction that Jed showed
> with two nested usages of the backlinks filter operator won't be much
> slower than a single usage.
>
> Generally, I'd strongly recommend careful measurements to avoid premature
> optimisation.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Ruston
> jer...@jermolene.com
> http://jermolene.com
>
> On 3 Jul 2016, at 08:32, Jed Carty <inmyso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> It wouldn't be hard to make something that does that and me and Jeremy
> (and others) have discussed adding something like that. The last I heard
> the problem was getting consistent syntax and then everyone got busy with
> other work, I am going to add some discussion ideas to the meetup later
> this month about extending filtering to include all logical operations,
> which would greatly simplify things like this. .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e1ee5881-4296-4e0d-8c00-5e075319b023%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e1ee5881-4296-4e0d-8c00-5e075319b023%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3B0E1B1F-E5BB-44F5-B9BA-AEAFF1B1CFFC%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3B0E1B1F-E5BB-44F5-B9BA-AEAFF1B1CFFC%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBFKZm0cS0UzhE4uwj%3D_AGMxPKAUu8MqzgZG3OLKkh8XEyg%40mail.gmail.com.