Hi Josiah

> On 2 Sep 2016, at 16:13, Josiah <proge...@assays.tv> wrote:
>
> Ciao Jeremy & Danielo
>
> > Part of the issue is that part of the reaction to NoteSelf has actually
> > been reaction to seeing browser local storage used for the first time. To
> > me, that’s really an irrelevant distraction from what’s cool about NoteSelf.
>
> I don't think its entirely irrelevant.

Perhaps we can agree that it is at least orthogonal. If all that one wanted was
local storage of tiddlers then that could be added much more simply than what
you see in NoteSelf. The point of NoteSelf is to bring up the CouchDB
interface; it would still be a desirable thing to do, even without the local
storage features.

> One of the things I like about it is that it saves locally in a uniform
> way--in the browsers I have tested so far. As I commented previously having
> ONE method, not browser plugin-in dependent, for local save, is, I think,
> very useful to see working.
>
> I do think there are issues with local storage. Which can likely be overcome.

Really? The issues with browser local storage seem to me to be pretty
fundamental. As I said, it’s brittle and opaque. The user doesn’t have control
over the lifetime of the data, they can’t inspect it, and they can’t export it.
That lack of control is by design because the mechanism is designed for a
different usecase: as a browser-side cache for server applications that will
ultimately persist their data at the server. The browser manufacturers have
zero interest in using local storage as a persistent, reliable storage locals.

Perhaps it’s just me: local storage has been around for perhaps 10 years, so
I’ve had plenty of time to absorb the capabilities and limitations.

> I'm less concerned about privacy than portability.

As I said to Danielo, it’s only when considering using local storage as a
default cache that the privacy issues arise. It is indeed all about control.

Best wishes

Jeremy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/F57A7160-C4ED-4410-A9E6-D0AF5FF6C090%40gmail.com.